Here are six leadership tips for building respect, trust, and loyalty with those who work with you.
- Model the work ethic you expect from others. No leader should ask people to do something that he or she will not do themselves. If you expect your workers to work hard, you should be at least as dedicated or more.
- Be evenhanded. Don’t play favorites among subordinates.
- Set high ethical and moral standards and live up to them conspicuously. That will send a clear message to others about the level of performance you expect.
- Praise in public and criticize in private. Refrain from lecturing or humiliating subordinates in public.
- Always keep your word. It’s wiser to under-promise and over-deliver than vice versa.
- Share the spotlight. Don’t take all the credit for every bright idea that comes for your work group. Give credit where credit is due and much of it will reflect back on you.
It’s all a matter of integrity.
SSCA offers executive coaching, leadership development, and culture work.
Read more about how we can help you boost your org’s leadership effectiveness here.