Dr. William Schneider has developed a model specifically defining four cultures. They are a set of shared beliefs, expectations and assumptions that influence and guide the thinking and behavior of an organization's members. It is a leader's responsibility to identify the value discipline of an organization's marketplace. When this is clear it will define the aligned Culture, which then puts in motion the leadership style needed to accelerate goal attainment.
SSCA has designed a workshop that allows leaders to ask and answer the following questions:
- Is my organization "focused" - does it have a clear core strategy?
- Is my organization "aligned" - are strategy, culture and leadership style logical and consistent with one another?
- Is my organization "integrated" - are processes, operations and systems consistent with the core Culture?
- Is my organization "balanced" and "complete" - practicing principles of the other three cultures to the appropriate threshold?
- What leadership practices are required to allow for appropriate decision making, given the organizations core Culture?
- Have your "sub-cultures" learned to speak in the language of the core?